Circum Minerals is a private company developing the Danakil Potash Project in northeastern Ethiopia. With a mineral resource of 4.9 billion tonnes at 18.1% KCl (potassium chloride) and seismic data suggesting an overall resource size of potentially 12 to 14 billion tonnes of potash-bearing salt beds, the Danakil Project is one of the world’s largest undeveloped potash resources.
The plan is to initially produce 2 million tonnes per annum of Muriate of Potash (MOP, the most common form of potash fertilizer) and 0.75 million tonnes per annum of Sulfate of Potash (SOP, chloride free potash type that trades at a premium to MOP). Danakil will utilize low cost, low risk solution mining and solar evaporation with cash costs projected to be among the lowest in the potash industry.
- High quality, large resource base
- Substantial upside potential from existing resource
- Targeting 2 Mtpa MOP and 0.75 Mtpa SOP
- Cash costs among the lowest in the world
- Low capital intensity per annual tonne of potash
- Favourable location to markets in India, Asia & Africa